Interserve Press Office | Feb 03, 2015
The second annual Social Value Summit hosted by Interserve - the FTSE250 construction and support services company - and Social Enterprise UK, will be held on Tuesday 3rd February 2015 at Coin Street Community Builders in London, two years after the Public Services (Social Value) Act came into law.
To recognise and progress work in the field, leaders from diverse sectors working in social value and social enterprise will gather to discuss how to realise the potential of the Act. Having made significant headway in raising awareness within local and national government and in the private and social sectors, the Social Value Summit will offer expertise and advice on how to put social value into practice, creating opportunities for businesses where society benefits.
Peter Holbrook CBE, Chief Executive of Social Enterprise UK, will chair the event, welcoming keynote speakers Lord Young of Graffham (Prime Minister’s Adviser on Enterprise, Cabinet Office); Adrian Ringrose (CEO, Interserve) and Lord Victor Adebowale CBE (CEO, Turning Point). The closing keynote will be delivered by Rt. Hon Hazel Blears MP, in which she will reflect on the day’s discussion and address the future of social value.
Peter Holbrook said:
“Together with our members and partners, Social Enterprise UK played an integral part in getting the Public Services (Social Value) Act passed. We did this because we believe we need to get the maximum value from hundreds of billions of pounds of public spending each year – and maximum value is not about the lowest price, but about the greatest social, economic and environmental benefit for people and communities. Awareness of the Act and its potential has risen sharply in the last year: now we need to work with commissioners, procurement professionals and providers to ensure it makes a real difference on the ground. To support this, we have created the Social Value Hub – an online portal providing downloadable resources to commissioners, procurement professionals and providers alike.”
Adrian Ringrose, CEO of Interserve plc, said:
“The Act has laid down the challenge to those of us working with and supplying the public sector to be innovative in the way we operate. We should all think of social value as giving us a new framework through which to evaluate what good looks like at the delivery end of a service – moving the focus away from purely a price point for a given set of activities to the impact on a community measured more broadly than the narrow economics of the contracting parties. It’s a new language – one we should all learn to speak. “
The summit will provide an opportunity for leaders from different sectors to share learning, build networks, and get practical advice on how to make social value meaningful in their industry and in the communities in which they work. Experts and leaders from housing, healthcare, sustainability, big business and local government will be in attendance, each bringing different perspectives to the field.
Read the speech by Adrian Ringrose, CEO of Interserve at the Social Value Summit
Notes to Editors:
- The Social Value Summit is open to media. For more information and joining instructions please contact Melanie Flood, Head of Media and Communications at Social Enterprise UK email@example.com tel. 0203 589 4949.
- All sessions from the summit will be livestreamed at www.socialvaluesummit.org.
- Twitter reference - #svsummit
- Social Enterprise UK (SEUK) is the national membership body for social enterprise. Government statistics state that there are 70,000 social enterprises, employing over 1 million people and generating £20bn+ for the UK economy. Its Chief Executive, Peter Holbrook CBE, who is also Chair of the Social Enterprise World Forum, was awarded a CBE in 2015 for services to social enterprise. For more information visit www.socialenterprise.org.uk. The Public Services (Social Value) Act became an Act of Parliament in February 2013, following its inclusion in SEUK’s manifesto in 2010, being taken up by Chris White MP as a Private Members’ Bill, and with the support of many charities, social enterprises and supporters across government.
- Interserve is one of the world’s foremost support services and construction companies. Our vision is to redefine the future for people and places. Everything we do is shaped by our core values. We are a successful, growing, international business: a leader in innovative and sustainable outcomes for our clients and a great place to work for our people. We offer advice, design, construction, equipment, facilities management and frontline public services. We are headquartered in the UK and listed in the FTSE 250 index. We have gross revenues of £3.4 billion and a workforce of over 80,000 people worldwide.
For all news follow: @interservenews
- The Social Value Hub can be found at www.socialvaluehub.co.uk