Interserve Press Office | Feb 01, 2016
The inaugural Social Value Awards, which recognise and celebrate good practice in commissioning and providing social value, will be held at the third annual Social Value Summit hosted by Interserve and Social Enterprise UK (SEUK) at the British Medical Association in London on Thursday 11 February, 2016.
The one-day event comes three years after the Public Services (Social Value) Act came into force. It will bring together those interested in creating social value through commissioning and procurement with organisations that deliver public sector contracts, from both the social and private sectors.
This year the programme will include sessions on devolution and the delivery of social value internationally. The UK is widely regarded as a pioneer on the topics of social value, social enterprise and social investment. A larger venue will be home to this year’s summit in response to the popularity of the annual event.
Peter Holbrook, CEO of SEUK, said:
“Social value continues to be a very hot topic, for organisations in every sector. Many public services are outsourced and there are no signs of this slowing – quite the opposite. Creating social value, and knowing how to measure and report on it, is incredibly important for those commissioning and bidding for public sector contracts.
“The biggest challenge facing public bodies, whether they’re local authorities, healthcare commissioners or in fire and police services, is austerity. Many are working with smaller budgets and smaller teams than ever before - the event aims to help both commissioners and providers understand how services and social value can be delivered in a tough economic climate.”
Adrian Ringrose, Interserve’s Chief Executive, said:
“It is crucial that those of us working with and supplying the public sector help drive the momentum that has built up behind the Social Value Act since it came into force three years ago. We at Interserve have achieved a great deal over the last year, especially in terms of measuring and reporting on the impact we are making in the communities in which we work. However, this is only the start of the journey and I’m delighted that the Cabinet Office has decided to launch the inaugural Social Value Awards at the summit, which will raise awareness of Social Value further and encourage us all to do more.”
Speakers will include Rob Wilson, Minister for Civil Society, senior leaders from businesses such as Asda and Interserve, and those in commissioning and procurement in local government. The summit will close with the first ever Social Value Awards, organised by the Cabinet Office and supported by KPMG.
For the full line up of speakers and to buy tickets, visit www.socialvaluesummit.org
Notes to Editors
- The Social Value Summit is open to media. For more information and joining instructions, please contact Fran Gorman, Head of Media and Communications at Social Enterprise UK: email@example.com or 0203 589 4949.
- Rhys Jones is Group PR Manager at Interserve: 07909 605336.
- Twitter reference - @SocialEnt_UK #SVSummit #socent #socialvalue
- Social Enterprise UK (SEUK) is the national membership body for social enterprise. Government statistics state that there are 70,000 social enterprises, employing over 1 million people and generating £20bn+ for the UK economy. For more information visit www.socialenterprise.org.uk
- The Public Services (Social Value) Act became an Act of Parliament in February 2013, following its inclusion in SEUK’s manifesto in 2010 being taken up by Chris White MP as a Private Members’ Bill, and with the support of many charities, social enterprises and supporters across government.
- Interserve is one of the world's foremost support services and construction companies. Our vision is to redefine the future for people and places. Everything we do is shaped by our core values. We are a successful, growing, international business: a leader in innovative and sustainable outcomes for our clients and a great place to work for our people. We offer advice, design, construction, equipment, facilities management and frontline public services. We are headquartered in the UK and listed in the FTSE 250 index. We have gross revenues of £3.3 billion and a workforce of circa 80,000 people worldwide. For more information please visit www.interserve.com and for news follow @interservenews
- The Social Value Hub can be found at www.socialvaluehub.co.uk