Interserve’s origins date back to 1884, when brothers Edmund and Augustus Hughes formed London and Tilbury Lighterage Company Limited, which specialised in transferring cargo between vessels. Between 1930 and 1950, the business diversified by moving into waste disposal and bought a civil engineering firm.
The company expanded further through the acquisition of a construction and engineering arm and in 2001 the Tilbury Group was renamed Interserve. Interserve developed a market-leading facilities management business that supported clients from the public and private sector across the UK, Spain and the Middle East. The FM business was acquired by Mitie Group Plc in November 2020.
Interserve is now made up of our market-leading Interserve Construction business, our global equipment services business RMD Kwikform and a justice business that delivers excellent services through five Community Rehabilitation Companies.