Interserve Press Office | May 23, 2011
Interserve’s commitment to health and safety has been recognised at the annual RoSPA awards ceremony held on 18 May.
The international support services and construction group was accorded two President’s Awards for achieving 10 or more consecutive Gold Awards and won a further 16 awards at the ceremony (six Gold Medals, eight Gold Awards and two Silver Awards). Interserve has received over 100 RoSPA Awards and five sector awards in five years.
The RoSPA Safety Awards have been recognising health and safety success since 1956. This key fixture in the health and safety calendar offers organisations a prime opportunity to prove their ongoing commitment to raising health and safety standards.
With an international workforce of nearly 50,000 Interserve takes its commitment seriously – being accident-free is one of its five key goals. Interserve operates in environments as diverse as artillery ranges, hospitals, shopping centres, nuclear sites, schools and pharmaceutical sites, and continually strives to ensure that employees and visitors alike go home healthy and safe every day.
David Paterson, Executive Director and Interserve’s health and safety champion, commented: “Health and safety is an incredibly important discipline, not just for our employees but also for our subcontractors, our clients and the people who use their facilities. To receive over 100 RoSPA awards in five years is a real testament both to our processes and procedures and, more importantly, to the commitment of our teams in ensuring a safe environment for everybody, every day.”
The 2011 RoSPA Awards recognised Interserve safe practices both in its own operations and at client locations:
- Project Services (construction): President’s Award for 10 consecutive Gold Awards
- Engineering Services (mechanical and electrical installation): President’s Award for 10 consecutive Gold Awards
- Industrial: Gold Awards at its Teesside Operations and at Stublach and Syngenta; Silver Awards for Holford Gas and the EVAP D modular build project in Ellesmere Port for Sellafield
- Central government: Gold Awards at the Metropolitan Police and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (the first time this contract has applied for an award), and a joint Gold Award at OSS Newcastle, HSL Buxton and HMRC Newcastle Estates
- Local government: Gold Award at the London Borough of Ealing
- Defence: Gold Medals for Project Armada (the Devonport Fleet Accommodation Centre), VT Flagship and the South East Regional Prime contract through Interserve’s joint venture, PriDE
- Health: Gold Medals for a continued commitment to health and safety at the Dudley Group of Hospitals, Cumberland Infirmary and University College London Hospital, and a Gold Award at Newcastle Hospitals on its first application.
The RoSPA Awards scheme is not only about reducing the number of accidents and cases of ill health at work; it also encourages organisations to develop robust health and safety management systems. David Rawlins, RoSPA’s awards manager, said: “RoSPA firmly believes that organisations that have demonstrated their commitment to continuous improvement in accident and ill health prevention deserve recognition. Interserve has shown that it is committed to striving for such continuous improvement and we are delighted to honour it through the presentation of these awards.”
– Ends –
For further information please contact:
External Marketing Manager, Interserve
020 7902 2000
Interserve's vision is to be the Trusted Partner of all our stakeholders. We are one of the world’s foremost support services and construction companies, operating in the public and private sectors in the UK and internationally. We offer advice, design, construction, equipment and facilities management services for society's infrastructure. Interserve is based in the UK, has revenue of £1.9 billion and a workforce of nearly 50,000 people worldwide.